Monday, July 28, 2008

Etsy Seller of the Week: Niftyknits

Please welcome this week's featured Etsy seller, Niftyknits! I am a knitter myself, and it is so inspiring to see the amazing variety of items Nifty has come up with in her shop! Contact her via Etsy before buying, mentioning you read her interview on this blog, and she will give you 10% off your order!

How did you find Etsy?
My son’s girlfriend told me about Etsy. I’d started selling my knits on ebay but when I looked at Etsy I was in awe at the talent. I didn’t think my work was good enough, but she encouraged me to go for it…the rest is history.(Thanks LennyPenny!)

What do you love about Etsy?
I love the variety, I never know what I’m going to find next. I love curating treasuries, putting together beautiful quirky unique items.

What is your favorite dinner?
Traditional roast for me please! The pork from the farmshop near my house is gorgeous, with crackling and apple sauce and veg and gravy and roast potatoes. My husband makes the best roast potatoes in the world, all crunchy yet soft inside. Mmmmmm.

What would you like us to know about your craft/shop?
Tricky question, this one! I suppose my answer is that the knitted and crocheted items you see in the store are not everything. You name it, I’ll knit (or crochet) it! I love puzzling out new ideas … at the moment I’m knitting morris dancers, because I want to have a stall at a folk festival.

If you could take an all-expenses paid trip anywhere in the world, where would you go?
I always wanted to take my family to see Steve Irwin at Australia Zoo, but sadly that’s not to be :-(
My holidays are in different parts of the UK, we have so much beautiful countryside to wander in. I would like to retrace Steve’s adventures across Australia, but someone would have to turn down the temperature and remove all the biting things first, please.

What do you love about what you make/sell?
I enjoy that moment when I see it’s all coming together., but I LOVE the journey to that point. My favourite piece is still the fuschia flowers I designed and knitted. When I started I had no idea I would be using headpins and seedbeads…indeed I’m not sure I knew what they were at that point! I knew what I wanted it to look like, and had to find ways to make it happen. That’s the best bit.

What is your favorite way to relax or unwind?
Hot bubble bath and a book, preferably with a glass of red wine :-)

What do you like to shop for on Etsy, even if it is just browsing, not buying?
Steampunk! Again, I had no idea steampunk existed until I found MadArtJewelry on Etsy. I read a lot of Science Fiction so when I discovered her jewelry and asked her what it was about I was instantly hooked. My first piece is called Tempus Fugit (time flies) and was so appropriate at that time in my life.

Where in the world are you?
In the real world I live in the south east of the UK, in Kent (the county with the white cliffs of Dover). This area is known as the Garden of England because it is so beautiful – come and visit!
On the web I am at niftyknits.etsy.com and naughtyknits.etsy.com
I have also just helped my son set up a shop to sell his band's CD at AScandalinBohemia.etsy.com
Then there's my blog http://niftyknits-somuchyarnsolittletime.blogspot.com/
and last but not least my website
http://members.lycos.co.uk/heatherml/Up%20the%20Lone%20Piners/
(Actually that will change shortly as my son has shamed me into realizing what a truly atrocious URL that is!)

6 comments:

Heather Leavers said...

thanks for featuring me - I'll let you know how many discounts happen due to your blog!

julie said...

cute little guys!

kim* said...

the lion won my heart.

tattytiara said...

Aw the lil lion! That puss in boots is very nicely made, too.

ARTISANNE DESIGN said...

Really interesting blog and cute knits, I have great admiration for all you knitters out there :0)

Heather Leavers said...

Thanks for the feature - I'm going to continue the discount offer to your readers throughout August - just mention right as rain in a convo to me first so that I can change your invoice.